Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Thin and Fat- It can't be them against us




Today one of my best friends shared an article that really upset her. A list about how thin people have privilege over fat people.

I read the list and identified with a lot of it. As a fat girl I struggle because I have to think about things like plane seat size, will I fit on rides at Disneyland, does this store carry my size, will the boy I like just see me as a whale, will my doctor judge me based on my weight and not my good test results?

So I agree on some level, thin privilege is a thing, but it's not something thin people did to us on purpose and we need to acknowledge that as a society we are fucked up. Too much revolves around physical appearance the the illusion of beauty.

When you search thin privilege a lot of shit comes up, from plus size bloggers complaining how their life is harder compared to their thin friends, to women who genuinely want to address the fact that fat people are treated differently simply because they are...well fat, to articles about how thin privilege is skinny shaming and articles explaining there can be thin privilege with out skinny shaming.

I think people automatically get defensive and hurt when they hear terms like thin privilege, white privilege and male privilege, it's in our DNA to defend ourselves. I so get that. How many times do I have to defend abortion as bodily autonomy or the fact that fat doesn't mean unhealthy just like skinny doesn't mean healthy?

In the article my friend shared I could see the point it was trying to make but it wasn't successful because too many of the things listed were not things only fat people deal with.

Not being able to wipe yourself when you go to the bathroom
Not being able to clean all of yourself in the shower
Not being able to tie your shoes
Being looked at an unintelligent
Being passed over for a job because the other candidate is better looking
People not believing you have higher education simply because you are a STAHM

The author added fat to each of these ex: FAT STAHM when none of these are things only fat people deal with, Some of them aren't things that even revolve around being fat. The author basically just made a list of bad stuff that has happened to her and labeled it thin privilege. Did some of her list hit home? As I already said: HELL YES. But all in all the article felt so negative I think it lost the point along the way.

I found this article to cover it  much better:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/05/thin-privilege-not-saying/

My friend is very tall, she, just like me, hs a hard time finding places who sell clothes that either a)fit her well or b) are clothes she'd want to wear.

I have thin friends with eating disorders who get told to "eat a twinkie" cause they are soooo thin or who have health disorders worse than I do. I have an aunt whose insurance is more expensive than mine because she is considered too thin.

Skinny shaming is not ok. People who are thin have problems you may not know about and while I understand the concept of thin privilege I find that it's just another way to divide us when we make lists and try to out do each other's hardships.  It can't be us vs. them. Body acceptance is about accepting all bodies and understanding there is no "good" body type.

Do I think there are some thin people who don't understand that life can be easier for them than for me? Sure, which is why we need to keep promoting things like body acceptance, healthy at every size and eff your beauty standards.

Here is an article about thin privilege written by a thin person I think is kind of brilliant
http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/10/lets-talk-about-thin-privilege/

We need to learn to not hate ourselves or each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, just remember the commenting rules! Especially on HOT topics. I won't have trolls or douche bags on this blog.