After the last, and ridiculous, debate I saw sooo many people who just didn't understand late term abortion. So many who believe babies are ripped out, cut up and brutally killed for NO GOOD REASON in the third trimester, people who think partial birth abortion is a thing in America.
So let's go through this- with some actual facts and not conservative christian hysterics.
1) LTA is only 1 % of all abortions and is an abortion that happens after 20 weeks. They are VERY expensive and most insurance companies will not pay for them.
2) Only so many states allow LTA, most restrict abortion in a crazy way. Most do not allow abortions after 25 weeks- which is considered when the fetus is viable. There are also only so many doctors who perform LTA, so most women must travel far from home to obtain them.
3) Partial Birth Abortions were banned in 2003- they are no longer done and are in fact illegal. In fact the term is not even a real thing. What people are actually referring to is intact dilation and evacuation. http://reason.com/blog/2016/10/21/late-term-abortions-in-america-2016
The procedure for LTA is as follows:
Twenty-four hours prior, the provider inserts a dilator into the patient's cervix. (This helps to open the cervix and reduce its risk of injury.) If the patient's pregnancy has passed 21 weeks + 6 days of gestation, an injection known as feticide is given to stop the fetus' heartbeat and ensure it isn't alive during the procedure.
An antibiotic is provided to help prevent infection. The patient either receives a numbing medication or is placed under general anesthesia.
When the procedure begins, a tenaculum is used to keep the cervix and uterus in place. The cervix is further dilated using cone-shaped rods of increasing size.
A cannula (long tube) is then inserted into the uterus. The cannula is attached to a bottle and a pump that provides a vacuum and evacuates tissue away from the uterine lining. If necessary, forceps may be used to remove larger pieces of tissue.
A curette (a curved surgical instrument) is used to scrape the lining to make sure no residual tissue is left behind. A final suctioning may also be performed.
Some women also have induced labor or c sections to deliver babies who have died or babies that will not survive after delivery. Yes- these are considered abortions as well.
However please note while hard to read about a D and X ("partial birth abortion") is actually safer than delivering a baby that will die by c-section. I know it's liberal but Huffington Post wrote a GREAT article about it and Kermit Gosnell- an abortionist that was sent to jail and wasn't a very nice man.
4) Infants having this procedure done do not feel pain. It has been scientifically studied that they have not yet develop the ability to feel pain.
5) No one is aborting babies that are healthy after 25 weeks. THIS IS A FACT. No abortions after 25 weeks takes place on healthy babies. If- like Trump said- a woman decided she didn't want to be a mother at 9 months. They would not kill the baby, they would simply deliver it and it would go to the state and into the system to be adopted. Most states make it illegal to have a LTA without a physician backing proof of a problem. You cannot go to an abortion clinic at 28 weeks, stroll in and say, "I want an abortion." That's just not how it works.
6) Women that have late term abortions are having them for one of two reasons a) because they have been told they will die if they give birth or b) because a fatal fetal anomaly has been found- meaning the fetus is not compatible with life and will either die after being born or survive a short time with severe disabilities. Most women want their babies at this stage. Here are some articles about women who actually had a late term abortion:
Second Trimester Abortion
Fuck You Donald Trump
Abortion at 23 weeks
Utah Late Term Abortion
32 Week Abortion
7) Hilary Clinton is not saying abortions should be granted to women at 9 months with a healthy and viable baby. She is saying women who get drastic news late into their pregnancies deserve the chance to make a choice for their body- what they think is best. Honestly it isn't any one else business. Until you've been faced with this horrible situation who are you to judge anyone else? I won't rant about abortion before 20 weeks because you can go back and look at my opinions on that is you really want to.
I am 29 weeks pregnant. So far the ultrasounds and reports have all been good. But I know at any time a doctor could come to me and tell me that my V has developed some horrible condition where he will die painfully before he's two, or won't even draw his first breath once he's out of my protective womb. I could develop a condition where I will die if I go any further into my pregnancy and they won't even be able to deliver me safely. I have three other children and a husband who need me around. As heart breaking as it would be I would choose a LTA over some of the other horrible options. So please- before you listen to a man like Trump- educate yourself. Read peer reviewed articles and scientific journals. Get the facts. LTA is rare, it's uncommon and it's only carried out in dire circumstances.