Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Spot Light Katie at Turtlehawk Knitting!



This is the second post in my series featuring local people from Utah that showcase a special ability. Whether it's selling something on etsy, acting, making costumes or even teaching birthing classes, these lovely people enjoy what they do and some even do it on the side of full time jobs and families. If you want to be featured please send me an email at damianarose777@gmail.com

Today I am showcasing Katie from Turtlehawk83 Knitting. She makes hats a scarves ( I own quite a few) they are pretty, soft, decent in lengths and the hats fit well are snug and warm. The best part? She can pretty much make ANY custom order.


Let's Get Started. Here is Katie!





Name: Katie Vance


What type of business: ie what do you sell/make/do?:
I knit scarves and hats

Website/store address/contact information/pricing/Where you perform. Where can my readers find you, see you!:

Turtlehawk83 Etsy
Slow-and-Steady-Wins-the-Race Facebook

What made you want to start knitting?:

Hadnt done in awhile, wanted to relearn. Looked relaxing. And I wanted something to do with my hands while watching TV



How long have you been knitting?


This time around? A couple of years. I think I first learned when I was about 10 or so. I went home a few years ago my my sister Heidi was doing it and she re taught me. My Pop made me knitting needles with woods and glass beads.


I know you have a full time job, when do you find time to knit?

On the bus usually. On my breaks sometimes, sitting around watching TV....I just got a new apartment not much to do there but read or knit.



What kind of things do you make, what is your favorite thing to make?

Scarves, hats. Hats are a little more fun - they're quicker. I can usually make a hat in about an hour, scarves take a couple days.



How are you planning to challenge yourself with this hobby?

Branching out to baby blankets, socks.... hopefully.


Have you ever thought of branching out to crochet or embroidery?

Crochet yes. That's the next challenge really. Embroidery, no. I just don't have the needle skills for that. But I can cross stitch.



How do you find inspiration with colors and projects?:

Just depends. I've got a couple of friends who have asked me specifically for certain items, (like a sports team scarf) and then a lot of times I just used the leftover colors in a different combination.
I try to make the "projects" even so I have a good on-hand supply, make one scarf, make one hat.



Is the goal for this to become a primary source of income? When you make money with your scarves and such, where does it go?

Gods, I wish. I don't think I have the hand strength for it to be a primary source. Scarf money goes to food, more yarn...gas money when I borrow my best friend's car. :)

You do Custom orders, right? What kind?
Hats and scarves, you can choose any colors and I can do them usually with two different yarns if you want, block pattern or mixed in. I can also put on pictures, sports teams, cartoon characters etc...etc.. Any any length of scarf, though 60 inches in normal.


Can you knit and do other things? Like watch TV or listen to music? Do you lose concentration easily?

Yes actually. Listening to music is best, I kind of zone out and the stitches just fly. TV not so much, I can but I usually get distracted by the pictures.
Lose concentration? Sort of. Depends on what's going on. I count my stitches so if someone is talking to me sometimes I'll lose count. Same thing goes with the TV. I have to watch what I'm doing which is why music is best.


On your pages your items have unique almost magical names, why?

I am pagan so a little magic goes into everything I make. On custom orders I can put in patience, calming, anti- cold, pretty much whatever. In the ones I made because the mood takes me it's just my normal happy, soft, warm vibes. Plus I pick the colors based on how I feel and what they remind me of. Anyone can own a green and gray scarf. However, if you buy from me you can own an Alchemy Scarf and have a little fun thrown in.

Here are some samples of Katie's work:

This is my daughter wearing the Rainbow Dash scarf and hat combo Katie made her for Christmas

This is the Egyptian Scarf from her Etsy Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, just remember the commenting rules! Especially on HOT topics. I won't have trolls or douche bags on this blog.