Saturday, April 25, 2015

Spot Light Carrie Jordan at Happy Fish Tarot



Today marks the first installment of series I am doing showcasing people in Utah doing their own thing; whether that's selling on esty, acting in the local theatre, owning their own business or running a charity organization. I am planning to do one or two a week for the next four weeks. So stay tuned!


This week I am featuring Carrie Jordan from Happy Tarot. She is a young woman who lives in Salt Lake and connects with people through social media to do Tarot Card Readings. I am pretty excited for this one, since I have read cards for 15 years and enjoy talking to my fellow Tarot lovers.

So with that in mind I introduce you to Carrie, enjoy.





Name:
Carrie Jordan

What type of business: ie what do you sell/make/do?:
I am a creativity and spirituality mentor and tarot reader.

Website/store address/contact information/pricing/Where you perform. Where can my readers find you, see you!:
I do not have a physical store. Instead I am all over the internet! My website is happyfishtarot.com. I'm also active on Facebook: facebook.com/happyfishtarot and Instagram instagram.com/happyfishtarot and Twitter https://twitter.com/happyfishtarot


When did you become interested in Tarot? How long have you been reading the cards?:
About five years ago, I was in the midst of a “quarter life crisis.” I felt out of alignment with myself and I couldn’t clear the haze keeping me stuck. Around this time, I felt an inexplicable urge to get a tarot deck. I was only vaguely aware of what tarot actually was, but I followed the hunch and got my first deck. As I worked with the cards, I saw my own psychic landscape mirrored in them. Tarot helped me find the conviction to confront the layers of gunk that had been keeping me stagnant. After studying and bonding with the cards for about four years, I launched my business just over a year ago.

I have done tarot readings for over 15 years so I know about it, my readers may not however, give me a brief history/overview/explanation?:
The tarot is a deck of cards which has been around in various guises for hundreds of years. They were the basis of a popular card game in Renaissance Italy. Tarot was adapted by occultists in the 18th century and was also, of course, used for divination. I think the appeal of tarot is that the images tap into different themes of the human experience. I see tarot as a type of map of the psyche. There are certain archetypal experiences which all human beings seem to inherently connect with. Tarot lays these archetypes out in symbolic images. When we see these images, we are naturally able to connect them with our own experiences, our own stories.

Are you pagan? Do you interact with the pagan community here in Salt Lake?:
I would not call myself pagan, no. I am a self-described spiritual mutt! The more I dive into the tarot world, though, the more interaction I have with people who are actively pagan. I’m fascinated by this concept because being pagan doesn’t seem to mean one specific thing. It’s such a broad, multi-faceted landscape. The pagan community seems to encourage a wide manner of spiritual exploration, and I think that’s great.

I favor the Rider Waite deck myself, what deck and spread do you use most often and why?:
I learned using the Rider Waite Smith deck and it has always been one of my favorites. This deck was pivotal in the history of tarot, and it’s so richly layered. I actually have three different versions of the RWS deck because hey, deck collecting is one of the most fun things about being a tarot reader! Aside from the RWS, I have a wonderful bond with a deck called the Wild Unknown Tarot. It is stunningly gorgeous imagery – sparse, yet endlessly evocative. As for spreads, well, the sky is the limit! People seem to either love or hate the Celtic Cross, I am fond of it. But what really lights me up is designing my own spreads. When I read for clients, I almost always create a custom spread to suit the scope of their needs.


What made you decide to make this your full time job?:
A holy trifecta: I have a deep connection with tarot, I have a deep desire to help other people get unstuck, and I have an entrepreneurial spirit.

Do you have people come for serious one on one life coaching and fortune telling? Or do you find yourself mainly as a fun event at parties?:
I take what I do seriously. I do think of myself as a life coach or mentor who happens to use tarot as a tool in her practice. My business is primarily online, and I am an avid blogger. Most of my clients initially connect with my writing and social media presence and are then inspired to work with me. This is awesome because people get a feel for who I am and what I do with tarot before we sit down to make magic happen together. Now, this isn’t to say I’m not up for lighthearted readings from time to time! But I’m not big on fortune telling – I try to focus more on guidance, inspiration and empowerment.

A lot of people associate tarot card with witches therefore with evil or the devil, have you come across any prejudices? Have family or friends reacted badly?:
I have not dealt with much of this, luckily! I’ve had some skeptical and surprised responses, but most of the people in my life are open-minded.

I won’t read for my girls until they are 16 and certain people who I find darker than others. Have you ever refused to read for someone and why?:
Except under very rare circumstances, I do not read for anyone under 18. So far, I have not had to refuse to read for anyone – though I have had to dispel some myths and explain that I don’t predict the future. When I started my business, I wrote myself a code of ethics and I encourage people to take a glance at it before they purchase a reading with me. So far so good!

Why tarot? Why not tea leaves, palm reading or runes?:
It may sound odd, but predictions have never been tarot’s main appeal to me. I don’t have a problem with anyone who DOES use tarot or other means for predictions, it’s just not something I think I can (or want) to do. I don’t know a lot about these other arts (although I have friends who read tea leaves and runes) so I don’t want to sound like I’m dismissing them, but tarot seems more dynamic and complex to me. I’m interested in spirituality, psychology, mythology, art and human development. I haven’t found any other tools that mash up as nicely with all of these as tarot does. Tarot suits me well!




Thinking of asking Carrie to do a reading? Here is her most recent client feedback!
"I don't really know how to sum up all the things my reading makes me feel. I wanted to share it all with you, but it's one of those things that shifts under my feet, changing and deepening each time I read it. There is so much there for me to come back to when I am struggling, so many perspectives to appreciate, so many reminders to let go and be me. It's really an incredible gift you have given me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, just remember the commenting rules! Especially on HOT topics. I won't have trolls or douche bags on this blog.