Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Timed Tests in School- More Test Anxiety






Time Tests = Extra Test Anxiety
I got my daughter’s second quarter report card and four of her grades went down. This is quite upsetting for me because I didn’t hear one word from the teacher that her grades were going down until the damn report card.

After researching it I found out everything is fine but her test scores are bad.
When I was in school if you failed a test you had to take it home and have a parent sign it, and when I was struggling my mother heard from my teachers. Going from an a to a c- is not normal. So needless to say I am really angry today about American Education. When your child starts to flounder in school isn’t the teacher’s job to help them and inform the parent that there is a problem? You know BEFORE the report card is issued?

Sure SEP conferences are coming up…AFTER the grades are final, where I get a lousy ten minutes to go over all my child has done the past three months, but I digress.

With my eldest I know some of it is all the changes going on here, she had similar issues after her bio dad left. The difference was:  THAT teacher seemed to give a shit and contacted me as soon as she noticed Monkey’s grades dropping and we were able to get her back on track.

Then I find out that Monkey is failing tests, I thought public schools now looked for symptoms of text anxiety. My daughter tells me she feels sick to her stomach before a test and sometimes the tests are timed so she spends more time worried about the clock and finishing then she does getting the answers right.
I hate tests to begin with since I don’t feel that they accurately represent how well my child understands concepts…more like how well my child can barf them back on paper.

So what good is a timed test actually doing for my daughter? I find the answer to be a whole lot of nothing.

Article on how timed MATH tests don’t help

Articles on why Standardized tests are unfair

Tips on How to Deal with Test Anxiety
http://www.studygs.net/tstprp8.htm
Be prepared
Be Confident
Be Comfortable
Don’t Cram
Be Relaxed
Take a Snack
(These are all great if not impractical or impossible to do/control)

Does your child have Test Anxiety? Here are some symptoms
Sweating
Shaking
Rapid heart beat
Nausea
Dry mouth
Fidgeting
Test avoidance
Depression
Anger
Low Self esteem

Though honestly I think the whole education system needs a rework, where tests are not a big deal, teachers are paid more and a happier more relaxed environment is created. I guess the school system needs more money, if only the government were not doing stupid things like spending money and time on anti-abortion bills, and put money back into the economy by oh… making pot legal and taxing it like cigarettes.



                

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, just remember the commenting rules! Especially on HOT topics. I won't have trolls or douche bags on this blog.