Friday, August 9, 2013

Breast Feeding Awareness Week

The past week was World Breast Feeding Week. So while I am a few days late I want to talk about this.

Let me start out with this I Support You! II support any way you choose to feed your child, as long as you are feeding it! Lol breast is not always best for some moms and for others it is. As long as your children are happy and healthy that is what really matters.

I Support You, and your RIGHT to breast feed your child anywhere and not feel shamed into covering up. People over sexualize breasts and that’s why they are uncomfortable. People see breasts as a sex organ so when I woman whips it out in public they go OMG NO!! She is INDECENT! This is bull shit of the highest nature. Breasts were created to feed your child; the added bonus is the sex thing. LMAO

We don’t make men cover up their chests in public. So if you want to cover up fine, if not then don’t. Have you seen that commercial? It starts: “First Child” and the mom is in a restaurant hiding her feeding baby under a blanket and then it changes to the same woman: ”second child” she is ordering food while feeding and tells the waiter “eyes up here” while her surly two year old glares? I can’t remember the product but I love that commercial.

I could not breast feed my first daughter. My milk never came in and I was pretty depressed by it. I also have small nipples so I had to wear a nipple shield and she had issues latching on. I gave birth at the U of U and felt very pressured to breast feed. They wouldn’t give me formula until I begged for it because my baby girl was hungry and I couldn’t feed her. My Princess is healthy and happy and was formula fed. I didn’t have issues weaning her from the bottle and her current teeth issues are thumb sucking ones, not bottle ones.

With my second daughter I was going to pump, which was a pain in the butt. I made the choice not to breast feed because 1) I am a working mother 2) I didn’t feel it was right for us and 3) At the time, and now, I have nipple piercings I really like and taking them in and out was annoying. She is like my first daughter, happy and healthy and was bottle formula fed, with no issues. I went to Salt Lake Regional and was upfront with my intentions to formula feed, the staff there was really nice and gave me formula, no one tried to push a lactation nurse on me and respected my choices.

If you haven’t noticed that is a running theme here…YOUR CHOICE. So women (and men) be supportive of each other.

Here are some interesting breast feeding/ baby formula stats and facts. As always I love to hear your own stories.

• Recent studies show that babies who are exclusively breastfed for 6 months are less likely to develop ear infections, diarrhea, and respiratory illnesses. They may also be less likely to develop childhood obesity.

• Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast and ovarian cancers.

• Breast feeding costs less than formula!

• Formula, a lot of times, gives the babies more of their required nutritional needs than breast feeding.

• Formula fed infants sometimes stay full longer

• Feeding with formula is a faster more convenient option for many moms.





Links
http://worldbreastfeedingweek.org/


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/lucy-eades-breastfeeding-_n_3719454.html?utm_hp_ref=breastfeeding

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, just remember the commenting rules! Especially on HOT topics. I won't have trolls or douche bags on this blog.