Thursday, November 8, 2012

Spiritual Midwifery and Natural Child Birth




Last night I went to a beautiful movie called Birth Story it was all about awesome Midwife Ina May Gaskin and The Farm Midwives. I am not ashamed to say I cried at the beauty and blessing of watching amazing women help other women give life to their babies.



My best friend is graduating in December to be a nurse and one her goals is to study midwifery under legendary Ina May. I am so proud of my Mary and hope that with the birth on my next child she will be present. I also pray she gets to live her dream and study to be a midwife on The Farm.



Ina May prescribes to the belief that a woman can have a natural childbirth, free of medications and unnecessary c sections and other medical procedures. She has personally attended over 1200 natural births. She speaks about how birth is natural and can be a wonderful experience. Women’s bodies can do it! Too often women are told they cannot do a natural child birth, it is too hard, and it will be too painful. And we believe it, because our OBGYN, a doctor, is telling us this. A doctor is telling us that a c section is the best answer, even though women and other mammals have been birthing babies for thousands of years.



Too often now women schedule c sections and all this surgery and interference has caused the maternal and fetal death statistics to jump up in crazy ways. Midwives believe that pregnancy and birth are normal stages in a woman’s life. They believe that unless there are complications intervention is not needed. They think that birth and pregnancy should be family centered and that as a midwife their responsibility is giving guidance and support throughout the pregnancy and birth. Women should make their own informed choices.



I am an advocate of Natural Child Birth for many reasons. My first daughter was born without an epidermal with three of my best friends supporting and surrounding me. It didn’t go perfectly but I did it. My own body pushed out my daughter and I would not trade that experience for the world. I had a Doula and a Midwife as well.



My second daughter was a c section. I only had the support of my husband at the time and my doctor scared me into it saying the baby was too large for my pelvis to birth her. With more research after wards and listening to midwives and reading I learned what utter crap that was. What I needed was a good support system and to stay at home until the last possible second with people I love cheering me on and telling me I could do it. I hated every second of the c section and every minute after wards. I had no interest in my daughter for at least an hour because I was tired, hungry, sore and freezing.



Needless to say my next baby with be as natural as I can make it and possibly at home if I can swing it. I think everyone woman should at least TRY natural birth before resorting to pain killers. You are supposed to feel something during the giving of life. And there are so many hormones rushing through your system it can feel amazing as well as painful at the same time.



Here are some great links I hope you will look at, even if you think this is all bull shit and you want a “real” doctor and a sterile hospital environment, please please educate yourself, your husband, partner, boyfriend, girlfriend, wife and friends first.



www.mymidwife.org



(Certified Nurse Midwives that are recognized by the American Medical Association)



www.bradleybirth.com



(The Bradley Method, focusing on partner supported child birth)



www.birthpartners.com



(A directory of natural birth related service providers)



www.nwhalliance.org



( The National Women’s Health Alliance which will give you important information about your health care options. This includes medical procedures, devices, medications etc…etc..)



www.dona.org



(Doulas of North America, doulas are trained to give mothers emotional, physical and education support)



www.vbac.com



(Support for women who would like a vaginal birth after a c section)



http://www.inamay.com/



( Ina May’s Website)



http://thefarmmidwives.org/



(The Farm Midwives.)



http://www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Midwifery-Ina-May-Gaskin/dp/1570671044



(Spiritual Midwifery, Ina May’s first book, a must read)



http://birthstorymovie.com/



(This is Birth Story, the documentary I saw last night. Check it out.)





2 comments:

  1. I love you and I am so glad that you came. I wish you could have stayed for the Q&A the first question the woman asked, on the edge of completely breaking down, how can someone who has had a traumatic birth experience achieve what she saw in the film. I couldn't sleep because of all the positive loving energy that filled the room. Thank you for being there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have too but it was already pretty late and I think Chris was a bit disturbed lol. I hope my bext baby I can have the sort of experience I saw last night as well.

      Delete

I love comments, just remember the commenting rules! Especially on HOT topics. I won't have trolls or douche bags on this blog.