Monday, November 19, 2012

I am Pro Choice, yes I am talking about abortion

Okay so abortion… I have a lot to say on this topic but for this blog I am going to limit it to a few talking points. The first is I am pro choice. I believe a woman has the right to choose. It is her body and her life. I do not believe in abortion (for myself) after 13 weeks. I do, however, think it is a woman’s choice. Sometimes shit happens, rape, incest, a forgotten birth control pill, a broken condom, a random drunken encounter. Sure maybe some of these are not so grown up, but it happens. One in three women in the USA will have an abortion, that’s just a proven statistic.


While yes I feel that if you are going to have sex you need to take responsibility for your actions. Use protection and if that fails then take the morning after pill. I do not think abortion should be used as a form of birth control, “oh yeah! I can have tons of unprotected sex because I can always have an abortion.” Ummmm. No… I don’t think that’s how it should work.

Even the most responsible and mature of us have accidents. I believe being responsible for your actions means making the choice that is right for you. Whether that means having the baby and keeping it, having it and giving it up for adoption or having an abortion. What is NOT responsible is leaving it in a garbage can, on the stairs of an orphanage or smothering it to death and putting it in a shoe box. (Yup true story). Or not making a decision at all.

Women that have abortions or are thinking of having abortions should not be looked down upon. They are not sluts or horrible people…. They may even been Christian for goodness sake! They are not drug users or filthy awful immature women (well maybe SOME are, but not the majority). They are mothers, daughters, sisters, aunts, friends, co workers… They are just women, making their own informed choice.

If you take away legal abortions then you will have women still getting them, but doing so illegally, which will raise the maternal death rate in America more than it already is. Plus some women have abortions for medical reasons. If the baby has something seriously wrong with it or if keeping the baby will have detrimental effects to the mother’s health… Or what if it is a child that was created through rape or incest? Taking away legal abortions takes away the options and choices of so many women. Making abortions harder to get doesn’t mean women stop getting them. It just means it stops being a safe and protected alternative.

Oh and abortion should be covered by health insurance, it is a medical procedure and in many countries with Universal Health Care you can have an abortion with your normal doctor and for little or no charge. You don’t want your taxes paying for my abortion? I don’t want my taxes paying for you to destroy the environment or the other ridiculous things taxes pay for right now. Taxes are taxes, pay them shut the fuck up and don’t complain about where they go. This is another ranty topic so I am stopping it right now.


I have had an abortion. I am not proud of it, but I do not regret it. It was a choice I made that at the time was right for me. I am tired of feeling shame over this and tired of the fact that I have to keep it hidden or people judge me. Fuck People! That is not my shame but theirs, I will not conform to what people think I should, feel, do or say. I had an abortion it was my right and my choice. It was not an easy decision, it was painful and I cried throughout the whole thing. I loved the little embryo in my uterus, but I knew that it was not the right time for us to be together. You want to judge me? Go for it, but know when you look around your church, office, neighborhood, grocery store etc….That one out of every three women has probably been where I have been and you are judging us
  Helpful Links:   http://www.womenscenter.com/abortion_stats.html   Abortion statistics  

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/abortion-4260.asp   Methods of Abortion

  http://www.religioustolerance.org/abortion.htm  

Religious Tolerance of abortion, all points of view   http://www.aisfor.org/our-ribbon/  

A is for.... women's reproductive rights 

 http://exhaleprovoice.org/ 

 If someone you know has had an abortion show them support. It is never too late to tell someone you understand and are there to talk.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, just remember the commenting rules! Especially on HOT topics. I won't have trolls or douche bags on this blog.